CHC40221 Certificate IV in School Based Education Support
This qualification (CHC40221 Certificate IV in School Based Education Support) reflects the role of workers who assist teachers and support student learning in a range of classroom settings under the guidance of a teacher or other educational professional. At this level, workers may be involved in facilitation of learning for a range of instructional groupings, including for those students in need of additional support. In these roles, the education support worker sources and analyses information from diverse sources, may work with limited direct supervision and could provide guidance to other workers.
About CHC40221 Certificate IV in School Based Education Support
Education support workers work mainly with students in classroom settings in primary or secondary schools, as defined by State/Territory legislation.
To achieve this qualification (CHC40221 Certificate IV in School Based Education Support), the individual must have completed a total of least 100 hours of work in a classroom environment catering to primary or secondary school students, within at least one school in Australia as detailed in the Assessment Requirements of units of competency. The total number of hours may be applied collectively across all units of competency that include the requirement for workplace hours.
CHC40221 Entry Requirements
ACSE student selection process has been developed to ensure that students are enrolled in a qualification that best suits their needs. These selection criteria consider a variety of factors when assessing a student’s suitability for undertaking the course. The following will be considered when deciding the suitability for enrolment:
- The student’s needs and desired outcomes as the student indicates in the Pre- Enrolment Review;
- The ability and commitment of the student to completing the course;
- Eligibility requirements as outlined in the applicable National Training Package;
- Student’s existing ability in the ACSF core skills (learning, reading, writing, oral communication and numeracy).
Students not meeting these requirements will be directed to more suitable qualifications.
To undertake this qualification students must meet the following entry requirements
- Students must be over 18 years of age,
- Complete a literacy and numeracy assessment prior to enrolment to assist with determining eligibility and to identify learning support needs.
- Have an intermediate understanding of computers and the internet to assist with conducting research and completing assessments and accessing E-learning materials
Work Placement requirements: (Prior to the mandatory work-placement)
- Have a Working with Children Check.
- Have a National Criminal Police Check
CHC40221 Course Structure
To achieve this qualification CHC40221 Certificate IV in School Based Education Support, the candidate must demonstrate competency in 17 units of competency (13 core and 4 elective) which are listed below:
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- CHCECE054 Encourage understanding of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples’ cultures
- CHCEDS033 Meet legal and ethical obligations in an education support environment
- CHCEDS045 Support student mathematics learning
- CHCEDS046 Support student literacy learning
- CHCEDS047 Assist in facilitation of student learning
- CHCEDS048 Work with students in need of additional learning support
- CHCEDS051 Facilitate learning for students with disabilities
- CHCEDS056 Provide support to students with autism spectrum disorder
- CHCEDS058 Support the implementation of behaviour plans
- CHCEDS059 Contribute to the health, safety and wellbeing of students
- CHCPRP003 Reflect on and improve own professional practice
- CHCPRT001 Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
- CHCCDE004 Implement participation and engagement strategies
- CHCEDS052 Deliver elements of teaching and learning programs
- CHCPRP001 Develop and maintain networks and collaborative partnerships
- HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
CHC40221 Mode of Delivery
The program will be delivered in a structured classroom environment that includes ACSE early childhood setting simulation area.
CHC40221 Course Material
You will be provided access to learning materials including:
To successfully complete the course, you will be required to submit a range of formative and summative assessment items at pre-determined intervals where possible.
Assessment is used to provide candidates with feedback on their progress and to measure their skills and knowledge against the training qualification requirements.
Assessment timelines will be provided on enrolment as part of your enrolment information package.
CHC40221 Payment Options
Fees are payable when you receive your confirmation of enrolment and invoice for the enrolment fee. Fees must be paid within 5 days of receiving this notification from ACSE. We may cancel an enrolment or discontinue training if fees are not paid as required. Payment methods include direct deposit, cheque or credit card via Pay Pal.
Payment can be made in instalments as well. Please contact our student coordinator to ask about instalment options.
This course may be funded through the ACT Skilled Capital* training initiative. Places are limited so enquire now.
CHC40221 Career Pathways
This qualification provides opportunity in roles like: