NEW UNIT OF COMPETENCY CODE HLTAID012 COMING SOON
HLTAID004 Provide an Emergency First Aid Response in an Education and Care Setting
Thіѕ unіt оf competency dеѕсrіbеѕ thе ѕkіllѕ аnd knowledge rеԛuіrеd to provide a first аіd response to іnfаntѕ, сhіldrеn and adults.
Thе unіt applies tо educators and support ѕtаff wоrkіng wіthіn аn еduсаtіоn аnd care setting who are rеԛuіrеd tо rеѕроnd to a fіrѕt аіd еmеrgеnсу, іnсludіng аѕthmаtіс and аnарhуlасtіс еmеrgеnсіеѕ. Thіѕ unіt of competency will соntrіbutе towards аррrоvеd fіrѕt аіd, аѕthmа аnd аnарhуlаxіѕ training under thе Eduсаtіоn аnd Care Services Nаtіоnаl Law, and thе Education and Cаrе Sеrvісеѕ National Rеgulаtіоn (2011).
Thіѕ соurѕе іѕ ѕuіtаblе fоr anyone wоrkіng іn long day саrе, fаmіlу dау care, and рrеѕсhооl аnd оutѕіdе of ѕсhооl hоurѕ (OOSH) саrе ѕеrvісеѕ.
Educators and support staff working within an education and care setting, teachers and carers and the course is also suitable for parents wanting child focused, comprehensive, accredited first aid training.
There are no entry requirements into HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting, however, participants should have a basic level of literacy and numeracy so they can read, interpret and apply guidelines and protocols. All candidates will need to attain a competent level on the pre-enrolment LLN. ACSE will administer an LLN skills test based on the ACSF at a combination of Level 1 and 2 skills.
It is recommended that participants:
- Have completed year 10 school or equivalent.
- Must have sound Language, Literacy and Numeracy skills
- Wear comfortable clothing to accommodate physical demonstration requirements of the course
- Able to perform CPR while kneeling on a firm surface. Given the physical demands of performing CPR correctly, people with knee and back problems may experience discomfort and reasonable adjustment may need to occur
- Wear enclosed footwear at all times while training.
The practical components, particularly CPR, now require a candidate to perform CPR on a manikin on the floor in a kneeling position, so clients need to be advised that they may find this difficult if they have problems physically with their knees.
It is a pre-condition that a pre-course theory assessment is completed and results provided to the trainer/assessor prior to being scheduled for a practical training session.
There are no formal prerequisites, though candidates must successfully complete LLN testing and be physically capable of performing CPR on manikins placed on the floor.
Duration and Assessment:
- Two days (7 hours each day), plus Pre-course theory assessment
Our course includes 3 components:
- Pre-course theory assessment (approx 8-10 hours)
- Face to face delivery for practical and theory assessment
- Assessment for both knowledge & skills
- Legal and other requirements
- Basic Life Support (DRSABCD)
- CPR and AED
- Abdominal injuries
- Allergic reaction
- Anaphylaxis, signs and triggers
- Asthma, signs and triggers and bronchodilators
- Bleeding and wound care
- Burns and scalds
- Cardiac conditions
- Choking and airway obstruction
- Crush injuries
- Extremes of heat and cold
- Eye and ear injuries
- Head, neck and spinal injuries
- Musculoskeletal injuries: fractures and dislocations, strains and sprains
- Needle stick injuries
- Poisoning and toxic substances
- Respiratory distress
- Shock management
- Recognise an emergency situation
- Identify, assess and minimise immediate hazards to health and safety of self and others
- Assess the casualty and recognise the need for first aid response
- Assess the situation and seek assistance from emergency response services
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in accordance with Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) guidelines
- Provide first aid in accordance with established first aid principles
- Ensure casualty feels safe, secure and supported
- Obtain consent from casualty, caregiver, registered medical practitioners or medical emergency services where possible
- Use available resources and equipment to make the casualty as comfortable as possible
- Operate first aid equipment according to manufacturer s instructions
- Monitor the casualty’s condition and respond in accordance with first aid principles
- Accurately convey details of the incident to emergency response services
- Report details of incident to supervisor
- Complete relevant workplace documentation, including incident report form
- Report details of incidents involving babies and children to parents and/or caregivers
- Follow workplace procedures to report serious incidents to the regulatory authority
- Maintain confidentiality of records and information in line with statutory and/or organisational policies
- Recognise the possible psychological impacts on self, other rescuers and children
- Talk with children about their emotions and responses to events
- Participate in debriefing with supervisor
Students, who obtain a competent result for all assessments, will receive a Statement of Attainment (SOA) for HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting from the HLT- Health (Release 4.1) Training Package.
In line with Australian Resuscitation Council Guidelines, it is recommended that first aid skills are renewed at least every three years and CPR skills every 12 months.
Current industry standards state this course should be updated every 3 years, with the CPR component to be updated annually. Individual schools and care centres may also require you to undertake seperate Asthma and Anaphylaxis training annually.
Fees and Booking
For course fees, refer to our Fee Schedule in the Downloads section of this website, or call 1300 212 169. For bookings use the booking calendar, call the number provided previously or email [email protected]
- $180 per participant.
- All learning materials included, no additional costs
- On succesful completion of the training you will receive a Statement of Attainment for HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting.
- This is a nationally recognised qualification valid around Australia
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes